Yesterday I met with legislative staffers in the offices of Reps. Jan Schakowsky, (D-Il), Ed Markey, (D-Ma) and Tammy Baldwin, (D-Wi), the original co-sponsors of H.R. 5786 The Safe Cosmetics Act of 2010. I was joined by Anne-Marie Faiola of Bramble Berry in Bellingham, Wa, Kayla Fioravanti of Essential Wholesale in Portland, Or, Lela Barker of Bella Lucce in Irmo, SC, and Donna Maria Coles Johnson of The Indie Beauty Network.
At the last minute we were also able to add the staffer from Rep. Barney Frank’s office (D-Ma), who is a new co-sponsor of the bill.
Highlights of this meeting:
- The meeting was productive and informative – having the power-packed team of Donna Maria, Kayla, Anne-Marie & Lela there helped to maximize our time in front of the staffers. Each of these team members bring their own areas of expertise to the table and we were able to make strong points and create meaningful dialogue.
- The Staffers were open and interested – they engaged us, asked questions and we were left with a few follow-up tasks.
- We were able to address specific concerns – we shared our concerns about the paperwork, registration and labeling. To prove our point on labeling of trace elements we provided a case study of a lotion bar made with three ingredients (olive oil, cocoa butter & lavender essential oil). Here is what the ingredient label would look like:
Olive Oil (Tri-Glycerides of Palmitic, Di-Glycerides of Palmitic, Palmitoleic, Stearic, Oleic, Linoleic, Arachidic Acid, Linolenic Acid, Squalene, Beta Carotene, Campesterol, Methylenecholesterol, Stigmasterol, Sitosterol, Fucosterol, 28-Isofucosterol, Stigmadienol, Brassicasterol, 7-Cholestenol,Ergostadienol, Avenasterol, Triterpene Alcohols, Tirucallol, Taraxerol, Dammaradienol Beta-Amyrin Germanicol, Butyrospermol, Parkeol, Cycloartenol, Tirucalladienol, 24-Methlene 24-Dihydroparkeol, 24-Methlenecycloartanol, Cyclobranol, 4-Methyl Sterols, Esters of Tyrosol, Esters of Hydroxytyrosol, Vitamin E (Tocopherols), Carotenoids, Oleuropein)
Cocoa Butter (Tri and Diglycerides of Stearic Acid, Palmitic Acid, Lead, Oleic Acid, Linoleic Acid, Isoleic Acid, Beta Carotene, p-Hydroxybenzoic Acid, Vanillic Acid, Ferulic Acid, Syringic Acid, Phenylehtylamine, Theophylline, Aliphatic Esters, Aromatic Carbonyls, Caffeine, Theobromine, Diketopiperazines and Alkylpryazines)
Lavender Essential Oil ( Cineole Octanol, Octanone, Alpha Bisabolol, Alpha Cadinol, Alpha Humelene, Alpha Phellandrene, Apha Pinene, Alpha Terpinene, Alpha Terpineol, Alpha Terpinyl Acetate, Alpha Thujene, Alpha Thujone, Beta Bisabolol, Beta Pinene, Beta Thujone, Borneol, Bornyl Acetate, Camphene Camphor, Cineolealpha Terpineol, Carvone, Caryophyllene, Carophyllene Oxide, CIS Alpha Terpineol, CIS Alpha Bisabolene, CIS Carveol, CIA Linalol Epoxide, CIS Ocimene, Citronellal, Citronellol, Coumarine, Cuminaldehyde, Eugenol, Furfural, Geraniol, Geranyl Acetate, Geranyl Butyrate, Hexanol, Hexyl Tiglate, Isoborneol, Lavandulol, Lavandulyl Acetate, Limonene, Linanlol, Linalyl Acetate, Methyl Heptenone, Myrcene, Nerol, Neryl Acetate, Oleanolic Acid, P Cymene, Rosemarinic Acid, Sabinen, Terpinenol, Terpinolene, Trans Carveol, Trans Epoxy Linalyl Acetate, Trans Linanol Epoxide, Trans Ocimene, Ursolic Acid)
After this meeting we were able to get a last minute meeting with a staffer from the office of Senator Diane Feinstein (D-Ca). Sen. Feinstein will most likely be introducing a senate version of H.R. 5786. (it is not usual for there to be both a House and Senate version of the same bill). The staffer was very open to our concerns for small business and seemed interested in keeping a line of communication open as this process continues.
What can you do?
- Understand the Legislative Process.
- Understand the Issues.
- Familiarize yourself with the Talking Points.
- Determine who you should write or contact.
- Make your opinion known. (Follow us on Twitter & Facebook)
- Let us know what you’ve done. (email: President@soapguild.org)
- Donate to the Advocacy Fund.
- Most importantl, if you are NOT a member, JOIN!!
I would like to personally thank Donna Maria, Kayla, Anne-Marie & Lela. If you have a chance to thank them yourselves, please do. These women work tirelessly for you behind the scenes, taking time away from their businesses, families and lives. They are all truly amazing and it is my good fortune to be able to work with them on this important issue.
Updates will be posted to the blog and sent to members in an eNews.