- Donna Maria Coles Johnson of The Indie Beauty Network (@indiebusiness)
- Kayla Fioravanti of Essential Wholesale (@essentialU)
- Anne-Marie Faiola of Bramble Berry (@brambleberry)
- Lela Barker of Bella Lucce (@bellalucce)
We have set up meetings with senior staffers of Representatives Schakowsky (D,IL), Markey (D, MA) and Baldwin (D, WI) who are sponsoring H.R.5786 The Safe Cosmetics Act of 2010.
The HSMG is opposed to this bill, as written, and it is my goal in these meetings to make these legislators aware of the impact this legislation will have on the handcrafted soapmaking industry. Help get the message out and take the following steps on your own to make a difference:
- Educate yourself – there is a lot of information out there on how this bill will impact the industry, make sure you are using reputable sources when researching and know where the information is coming from.
- Write to your local representative – see the talking points and a sample letter on the HSMG Safe Cosmetics Act pages.
- Sign the petition to oppose SCA 2010.
- Spread the Word – to the local and online soapmaking community. See What You Can Do for more things you can do to get the word out.
Now, more than ever it is important that we stick together as soapmakers and businesses. There is strength in numbers. The HSMG grows stronger with every new member. The more members, the stronger our voice is. If you are not a member there has never been a better time or a better reason to join.
NOTE: If you are an HSMG member and live in the DC area and would like to meet us for dinner on Monday night (August 1st) we will be at: Luigi’s, 1132 19th St. NW, at 6 PM. Come join us!