Supporting Local Communities
Handcrafted soap and cosmetics businesses are entrepreneurial in nature, starting small and building up as they go along. As such, they provide full and/or part-time jobs in local community, bring revenue into the local community and participate in community events and fund-raising.
In those communities that have local farmer's markets, it is not uncommon to see handcrafted soap and cosmetics offered for sale to local residents and tourists. Handcrafters often also contribute to local school or church fundraising activities by participating in fairs and bazaars or directly donating to them.
Many handcrafters also have an on-line presence, which allows them to sell to customers outside the local community, and in turn funnel that revenue into the local economy.
To find the location where handcrafted soap or cosmetics are available near you, check our Store Locator.
Members of the Handcrafted Soapmakers Guild tend toward donating some of their products to charitable organizations, an activitiy that the organization highly supports.
The following members of the HSMG have reported making donations to charitable organizations of their choice:
- Loft Soap donated 78 bars (25 lbs of soap) to Larkin Street Youth Services in San Francisco, CA.
- Shepherd's Soap Co, LLC donated Gift basket of luxurious hand made bath and body products. to Women's Leadership Council & United Way of Thurston County in OLYMPIA, WA.
- Merry Little Bath Company donated Gift basket for raffle and $1 from every bar of soap sold at their craft show. to Jefferson High School Band and Flags Booster in Bloomington , MN.
- Bubs and Scrubs donated Handmade all natural soap for people affected by Hurricane Sandy to Princeton Alliance Church Sandy Relief in Plainsboro, NJ.
- Malaspina Soap Factory Inc. donated 42 Soaps to Salvation Army in Powell River, BC (Canada).
- Malaspina Soap Factory Inc. donated 12 Soaps for Christmas Hampers to Powell River Association for Community Living in Powell River, BC (Canada).
- Calise Soapworks & Such donated Gift basket for silent auction to Angels Anonymous in Lincoln City Neskowin, OR.
- Etta + Billie donated 30 Jars of Bath Salts, 8 Bars of Citrus Poppy Soap, 8 Bars of Cinnamon Oatmeal Soap, 10 Lavender Scrubs to La Casa de las Madres in San Francisco, CA.
- Calise Soapworks & Such donated Gift basket for silent auction to Neskowin Valley School in Lincoln City Neskowin, OR.
- Barbs Homemade Soap donated 50 Pound Pail of soap to Mission America Placement Service in Adrian, MI.