US Conference 2023
Enter your best soaps and cosmetics into the newly reimagined Maker’s Showcase at the 2023 Annual Conference!
This is a great opportunity to showcase your skills as a maker in front of a crowd of your peers. Each registered conference attendee* may submit up to one product per category. In addition, all products entered have the chance to win the coveted Best in Show title!
*NOTE: HSCG Board of Directors, Staff, Conference Volunteers, Conference Exhibitors and Speakers are not eligible to participate in the Maker’s Showcase.
Below are the guidelines for participating in the Maker’s Showcase:
1.The Maker’s Showcase Categories Are:
-Best Cold Process/Hot Process
-Best Melt & Pour
-NEW! Best Creative & Specialty: This includes decorative soaps, children’s soaps, pet soaps, conference-themed soaps, and any other creative pieces that don’t fit neatly into one of our other categories.
-NEW! Best Performance: Soaps will be judged based on their lather, feel, and overall performance by our expert panel of judges.
-NEW! Disaster Soap: Bring us your fails, less-than-beautiful bars and all-around disasters for a chance to receive feedback from our judges!
-NEW! Best Lotion
-NEW! Best Bath Fizzies (bath bombs, salts, and scoops)
-NEW! Best Body Scrub (below the neck only: no lip or face scrubs will be accepted)
-NEW! Best Lip Balm
2. All soaps entered need to be void of any packaging to make it possible for judges to see the soap in better detail, with the exception of the Best Packaging category.
3. All products entered into the Maker’s Showcase will automatically be considered for Best in Show. You do not need to worry about using your entries for that category.
4. Each 2023 HSCG Annual Conference attendee may submit one (1) entry per category, but each category may require multiple product submissions for the judge’s panel to test.
-CP/HP, Melt & Pour, Lotion, Bath Fizzies, Body Scrub: (2) duplicate products are required; one to display, and one for testing.
-Creative & Specialty and Disaster Soap: Only one product is required.
-Lip Balm: (4) four duplicate products are required; one for display, and one for each judge to test.
5. You must sign up and deliver your entries and their duplicates by NOON on May 5th. Any entries and accompanying duplicates delivered after this time will not be included.
6. ALL entries must be accompanied by batch sheets for each product; for example, if you submit soap in the Best CP/HP category and a lotion in the Best Lotion category, you must submit a batch sheet for the product submitted in the Best CP/HP category AND for the product submitted in the Best Lotion Category. Because a panel of judges will be testing these products, no entries will be accepted without accompanying batch sheets.
7. The Maker’s Showcase Coordinator is in charge of the display and will decide how and where the products are displayed. Additionally, each product will be assigned an identification number to ensure judging integrity. The Maker’s Showcase Coordinator will determine the numbering process.
8. During the conference, attendees will be able to view entries until the Judge's Panel begins deliberation on the evening of May 6th. After the final break on May 6th, the Judge's Panel will convene and determine the winners in each category, as well as Best in Show.
9. Winners will be announced at the Awards Dinner on the last night of the Conference.
10. All unused products entered into the Maker’s Showcase will be donated to a non-profit women’s center after the event has concluded. You may bring additional products to donate to the organization if you choose.
If you have any questions or need additional information, you can reach out to the Maker’s Showcase Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
HSCG Maker’s Showcase Hall of Fame
The Maker’s Showcase has become a beloved event during each Annual conference, with many attendees choosing to participate in this very positive contest. Among the participants have been a select few who have won multiple times within a single category.
To honor participants who have won in a category two times consecutively, the HSCG has created the Maker’s Showcase Hall of Fame. Any participants who win in a category in 2023 which they have also won in 2022 will be inducted into the Maker’s Showcase Hall of Fame. Hall of Fame inductees are welcome to participate in the Maker’s Showcase, but will not be eligible to compete in the category or categories for which they have been inducted for. This helps us to keep the competition fresh each year!