The HSCG is committed to reducing plastic waste and encouraging sustainable practices for both makers and consumers.
The number of people in the United States using body wash in disposable bottles.
That's as of 2017. The number is expected to increase to 250 million by 2020.
The number of disposable body wash bottles used every year.
That number based on an average of 6 bottles of body wash per year, not including shampoo or conditioner bottles.
What if we all ditch the plastic bottles?
- Body wash can be replaced with bar soap, eliminating the need for disposable plastic bottles and the non-recyclable pump
- Many soapmakers choose eco-friendly packaging instead of plastic.
- Handcrafted bar soap cleans equally well (or better) than liquid soap.
- Handcrafted bar soap is generally made with natural, food-grade ingredients.
- Buying handcrafted soap supports local small businesses.
- Handcrafted soap comes in an extremely wide variety of scents, colors, and formulations.
- 1-2 bars of soap replace a typical bottle of body wash.
You can do something about it.
Take the pledge
- To use bar soap as an alternative to liquid products in single use plastic whenever possible;
- To seek out products with environmentally conscious packaging;
- To be mindful of my plastic waste; and
- To reduce, reuse or recycle as much as I can in order to help protect our oceans, lakes, and rivers.