Compare Available Insurance
At the start of 2017, the HSCG announced a new lower-cost insurance option available to HSCG members (with membership). This new insurance option is available for all new or renewing HSCG members, to assist those on tight budgets who can forgo property coverage. It is the best low-cost insurance option on the market for soap & cosmetic handcrafters.
We invite you to compare the two HSCG insurance options with any other coverage available to soap, cosmetic, candle businesses.
|HSCG Insurance Options|
|Coverage||RLI1||Minimal Coverage (NEW!)||Standard Coverage|
|General Liability||$300,0001||up to $2 million2||up to $2 million2|
|Product Liability||$1 million||up to $2 million2||up to $2 million2|
|Property Coverage||$5,000||None||up to $30,0003|
|Soap, Cosmetics & Handmade products4||Covered||Covered||Covered|
|Business Location||In-home only||Anywhere||Anywhere|
|Additional Insureds||$20 ea||FREE||FREE|
|Professional||None||Yes (Add-On)||Yes (Add-On)|
|Availability||All US States||All US States||All US States|
|Added Fees||Broker commission usually included||$5 admin fee||$5 admin fee|
- Additional coverage and/or higher limits may be available from RLI, depending on the state in which your are located.
- Both HSCG policies include $1 Million in General Liability and $1 Million in Product Liability which may be increased to $2 millionon sign-up ($55 per year to increase both coverages).
- The HSCG full policy includes $5,000 property coverage, which may be increased up to $30,000 (price dependson coverage level). Additional property coverage is available with a custom policy from Veracity Insurance Solutions.
- Most handmade products, including jewelry, arts, crafts, apparel, etc) are covered; food and drugs are excluded.m
- Canadian coverage is provided by Steer Insurance Group. Coverage not available in Quebec.
- In addition to the insurance cost, the HSCG charges a $5 administration fee.
How to Get HSCG Insurance
HSCG Insurance (either option) is only available with membership, and is purchased at the same time as the membership. It runs for the annual term of the membership, starting and ending on the same day as the HSCG membership. Individuals who are members without insurance may sign up for a new membership term with insurance and get a pro-rated credit for the unused portion of the existing membership; this may only be done through the HSCG office over the phone (not through the store).
Once purchased, the member can manage the insurance through the Insurance Portal with Veracity Insurance Solutions. The Insurance Portal allows the member to view coverage, add Additional Insureds, view or print the actual policy, etc.